Shepherds in the city
There are goats being ushered through the streets of downtown, which can only mean one thing: it's Eid el-Kabeer. But I don't want to exoticize this place more than I already have- my Egyptian friends are as amused by the sheep as I am.
Dad and Nadine are now in Cairo, and we are (albeit, rather politely) kicking up a storm. Nadine and I caught some whirling dervishes, sunset over the Citadel and did some not so effective bargaining in the Khan (my bad: not a good idea to start bargaining with the number the vendor started at! I should have been paying better attention). She's also warming up the bed at night, which is desperately needed these days.
I joined Deena on a restaurant review she was working on for The Daily Star. This landed us in an Italian restaurant in Mohandiseen where the tomoto soup was basily and creamy and the risotto, smooth and cheesey (there's a reason that I don't write reviews myself). The waiter saw her notebook and brought out complimentary garlic bread and made a real point of making sure we enjoyed our evening. I have decided to carry a notebook with me every time I eat out.
Also this week I ended up at After Eight, a popular night spot for Cairo's moneyed (one hundred pound cover!). The band playing was Wust el-Balad (trans: downtown) and they were incredible. They are the city's pet band and play at least a few times a week all over the place. They have classical arabic and spanish sounds to them, as well as some rather Dave Mathewsish tunes, also rendered in Arabic. There are some inventive sounds that are cheerful and kept the crowd dancing. Add to this that they performed in a box-like stage beside the crowd, and you have an energy that makes Cairenes find a one hundred pound levy acceptable. Check them out. www.wustelbalad.com.
The score:
can't stop listening to: Samira Said and Cheb Khalid singing Youm Wara Youm and trying to dance like the Sudanese refugees.
reading: The Yaboubian Building. Maye tells me it's already translated and selling in Canada. It gives a good snapshot of Egypt today (and the nostalgia for the past). The movie caused some controversy here this year.
best purchase: furry hot water bottle.
eating: a day without babaghanoug is a day without sunshine.
newest challenge: Arabic Scrabble. Scratch that.
newest challenge: finding someone to play Arabic Scrabble with me.
looking for: halal Skittles. And I won't rest until they are mine.
Heading out of the work week and into Eid in Alex.
Dad and Nadine are now in Cairo, and we are (albeit, rather politely) kicking up a storm. Nadine and I caught some whirling dervishes, sunset over the Citadel and did some not so effective bargaining in the Khan (my bad: not a good idea to start bargaining with the number the vendor started at! I should have been paying better attention). She's also warming up the bed at night, which is desperately needed these days.
I joined Deena on a restaurant review she was working on for The Daily Star. This landed us in an Italian restaurant in Mohandiseen where the tomoto soup was basily and creamy and the risotto, smooth and cheesey (there's a reason that I don't write reviews myself). The waiter saw her notebook and brought out complimentary garlic bread and made a real point of making sure we enjoyed our evening. I have decided to carry a notebook with me every time I eat out.
Also this week I ended up at After Eight, a popular night spot for Cairo's moneyed (one hundred pound cover!). The band playing was Wust el-Balad (trans: downtown) and they were incredible. They are the city's pet band and play at least a few times a week all over the place. They have classical arabic and spanish sounds to them, as well as some rather Dave Mathewsish tunes, also rendered in Arabic. There are some inventive sounds that are cheerful and kept the crowd dancing. Add to this that they performed in a box-like stage beside the crowd, and you have an energy that makes Cairenes find a one hundred pound levy acceptable. Check them out. www.wustelbalad.com.
The score:
can't stop listening to: Samira Said and Cheb Khalid singing Youm Wara Youm and trying to dance like the Sudanese refugees.
reading: The Yaboubian Building. Maye tells me it's already translated and selling in Canada. It gives a good snapshot of Egypt today (and the nostalgia for the past). The movie caused some controversy here this year.
best purchase: furry hot water bottle.
eating: a day without babaghanoug is a day without sunshine.
newest challenge: Arabic Scrabble. Scratch that.
newest challenge: finding someone to play Arabic Scrabble with me.
looking for: halal Skittles. And I won't rest until they are mine.
Heading out of the work week and into Eid in Alex.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home